Belleair has created and established an alternative local government code enforcement and variance consideration process by utilizing a Special Magistrate to enforce the Code of Ordinances and Land Development Code.
Special Magistrate Powers
Belleair's Special Magistrates shall have the power to:
- Adopt rules for the conduct of code enforcement hearings
- Subpoena alleged violators and witnesses and evidence and such subpoenas may be served by the Police Department
- Take testimony under oath
- Issue orders having the force of law commanding whatever steps necessary to bring violations into compliance
- Authority to grant or deny variances relating to existing single-family lots or structures or improvements thereon
Attorneys Lauren Rubenstein and Bart R. Valdes serve as the Special Magistrates for Belleair.