Water Supply Updates
Belleair's Water Supply
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) placed the Town of Belleair under a consent order to resolve the issue of fluctuating levels of trihalomethanes (THMs) in Belleair's water supply. THMs are a group of chemicals which are created when chlorine used for water treatment reacts with organic materials in the water.
To effect a necessary improvement, the Commission opted to make the switch to Pinellas County's water distribution system. Town staff thoroughly researched the County's proposal and Commissioners voted unanimously to approve the purchase of potable water on the basis of a wholesale agreement with Pinellas County Utilities.
Making the Switch to Pinellas County Water
On Friday, December 1, 2023, the Town of Belleair 'flipped the switch' to turn off Belleair's water treatment system and begin receiving potable water from Pinellas County Utilities. Town staff was joined by representatives of the Town Commission to commemorate this significant moment. Thank you to our Commission and staff for their invaluable contributions in making this possible! Following this transition, the DEP's consent order was officially lifted in January 2024.
Pinellas County's water is in compliance with all federal and state standards. Click here to view Pinellas County's Water Quality Consumer Confidence Reports.
For further questions about the quality and compliance of Pinellas County's water supply, please contact Belleair's Interim Director of Water Utilites, Greg Turman, at (727) 588-3795 x 403.
Pinellas County Water Shortage
The Southwest Florida Water Management District has issued a modified Stage 1 Water Shortage for Pinellas County. We urge everyone to reduce wasteful and unnecessary water use and be prepared for more stringent restrictions if drought conditions worsen.
Beginning, Dec. 1, 2023, Pinellas County Utilities will move to one-day-per-week watering for all water customers. The Town of Belleair will continue to maintain its current watering schedule, as it is in compliance with the county’s once-per-week rule. Please see Belleair’s watering restrictions/schedule below.
Lawn and landscape watering is limited to a once-per-week schedule per the regulations below.
If your address (house number) ends in...
0 or 1, water only on Monday
2 or 3, water only on Tuesday
4 or 5, water only on Wednesday
6 or 7, water only on Thursday
8 or 9 (or no discernable address), water only on Friday
- Please note that in the event of increased restrictions from the Southwest Florida Water Management District, such restrictions will supersede the Town of Belleair’s restrictions until rescinded and the Town returns to its original schedule
- Properties less than two acres in size may only water before 8:00 am or after 6:00 pm
- Properties two acres or larger may only water before 10:00 am or after 4:00, but should contact the Water Department at (727) 588-3795 for authorization prior to watering
- Low-volume watering (micro-irrigation, soaker hoses, hand watering, etc.) of flower beds, shrubs, and other non-lawn plants is allowed on any day and at any time, if needed
- Some exemptions are available, such as allowances for new plant establishment or the watering of chemicals