Palmetto North Roadway Project
Palmetto North Roadway Project Blog
Wednesday, December 2, 2020
A new maintenance of traffic (MOT) plan has been implemented for the project. The area in the map below marked in green will be completely closed for the next month or so as work is completed. Please plan your route accordingly.
Wednesday, November 18, 2020
Kamminga & Roodvoets has made a lot of progress on the Palmetto North Roadway Project over the past month! New curbs have been installed between Ocala Road and Oleander Road and sidewalk and driveway restoration is in progress for that segment. Additionally, new roadbase has been installed in this area.
As mentioned in the previous update, once roadbase is added to that segment, the contractor will then move on the northern part of the project (between Oleander Road and Bayview Drive).
Wednesday, October 14, 2020
Earlier this week, contractors began excavation of the road base on Palmetto Road from Ocala Road and heading north to Oleander Road. Curb, sidewalk, and a "first lift" of asphalt will be added to this segment before the contractor then moves to another segment. The goal is to complete stormwater, curbing, sidewalk, and first lifts in smaller sections before adding final layers of asphalt to any part of the project.
Friday, September 25, 2020
New PVC water main has been installed and is now in service for the entirety of the project zone. Concrete storm structures will begin to be installed within the next few weeks. Work has also started on underdrain installation from Oleander Road south to Ocala Road, which will be tied into the storm system.
Wednesday, August 26, 2020
Drainage improvements continue to be the focus of this project, as the newly installed water main between Oleander Road and Ocala Road will be put into service on Wednesday, August 26. Otherwise, the project is moving along as scheduled.
Tuesday, August 4, 2020
The clearing and removal of trees and other vegetation in the right-of-way is near completion. A new six-inch water main has been installed along the east side of Palmetto Road between Ocala Road north to Oleander Road. The contractor will continue this work northward. Additionally, all street lights in the project zone have been disconnected and some have been removed to make way for equipment and workers.
Thursday, July 16, 2020
The clearing and removal of trees and other vegetation in the right-of-way has begun. This process will continue for the next week or two. After all of the trees are cleared, the contractor will begin water main replacement. Once water main replacement begins, the street lights in the project zone will be also disconnected and removed.
Tuesday, June 9, 2020
Prior to the start of this project, the contractor (Kamminga & Roodvoets, Inc.) will be staging equipment at the southwest end of L. Rene Gaienne Park. This staging will begin approximately Thursday, June 11 per the map below. The staging will cause a localized closure of Palmetto Road, which will remain in effect throughout the project.
The Palmetto North Roadway Project includes Palmetto Road from Ocala Road to Bayview Drive. This project will begin in July of 2020 and is estimated for completion in the late spring or the early summer of 2021. Information on the Palmetto North Roadway Project, including progress reports, images, or other updates will be posted here in a blog format throughout the project.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to help. You may also use this email to request a digital copy of the engineer’s plans for the project.
The Palmetto North Roadway Project consists of a full-scale reconstruction of drainage and roadway systems within project limits. Between now and the completion of construction, the following tasks will be completed.
- Existing curbs, asphalt, road base, and road sub-base will be removed and all new materials will be installed
- New water mains and service connections will be installed and the old system will be removed
- Underdrain will be installed to collect groundwater
- The existing storm collection system will be removed and a new system will be installed
- New fire hydrants will be installed
- Existing street lights will be removed during construction and then reinstalled with new conduit and wiring
Staff has collected several frequent questions and answers for you. As always, if you have a question that is not listed below, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help.
- Are the trees in the project area going to be removed? Yes, trees located in the area between sidewalks and curbs will be removed. There are currently no replacement plans
- What should I do if my irrigation system is damaged from the project? Staff is advising one-on-one irrigation inspections prior to the start of construction to ensure proper operation and location of irrigation heads. If any damage should occur within project limits as a result of construction, please report the damage as soon as possible to either the contractor or to email@example.com.
- Are the sidewalks going to be replaced? Sidewalks will be replaced on an as-needed basis during the project. Any current sidewalk sections that are damaged will be repaired or replaced.
- How will solid waste and recycling pickup continue within construction zones? The contractor is responsible for taking containers from your curb over to an area nearby for solid waste and recycling pickup and for returning the containers to your driveway following disposal. Your regular collection schedule will apply throughout the project.